The Top Tips for Moving Seniors to Assisted Living or a Downsized Home
Moving your mom or dad into a smaller home or assisted living facility can be a scary time for both you and your parent. This is a journey both you and your parent have never experienced before, making it understandably intimidating. Preparing ahead of time for the move can help to make the transition a smooth one.
Tips for Downsizing Seniors to a Downsized Home or Assisted Living Facility
- Start as Soon as Possible: As soon as your mom or dad decides it’s time to move into a downsized home or assisted living facility, start sorting through belongings to determine what items should stay and what items should go. If you start while your mom or dad is still looking for a new home, by the time they choose one, you will already have a head start.
- Create Distinct Piles: Clearly label your piles as “keep”, “get rid of”, “sell” or “donate”. Items that will be used at the downsized home should be kept. Items that are no longer needed can be sorted into the “keep”, “get rid of” or “sell” piles.
- Don’t Pack Collections: While collections are great, they can be extensive and take up a great deal of space. Instead of bringing an entire collection to a new downsized home, tell your mom or dad to choose their favorite piece to represent the full collection. This is a smart way to save space while still keeping a piece from their valued collection.
- Be the Decision Maker – to a Certain Extent: Sorting through a lifetime of belongings can be an intimidating task. When your mom or dad is sorting through their belongings and trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of, be there to help remind them what they will and will not need.
- Highlight the Donate Option: When a senior has to choose whether to keep an item at their downsized home or get rid of it, remind them that just because they get rid of it doesn’t mean they are being wasteful. Many times, a family member of friend would be happy to use that item or it can be given away to a charity or organization.
Do you Need Long-Term or Temporary Storage for Your Downsizing Senior?
Are you in need or temporary or long-term storage options for your mom or dad? A storage unit can be a great option! At STORExpress, we offer month to month rental options perfect for both temporary and long-term storage unit rentals. Our climate controlled storage options are perfect for storing more sensitive items like antiques, electronics, leather or wooden furniture and documents. Do you have additional questions or are you interested in learning more about a storage unit rental? Contact us today!