When you look into most self storage units, what you’ll generally find is a really great attempt at packing it…other times you’ll find quite the opposite attempt. A rule of thumb is that the average person will only utilize approximately 50% of their storage unit’s available space; and even the best packers will utilize only 70% of the space.
Below are some tips that will help you to save money on your storage unit by packing it to it’s fullest potential. The more effectively you pack the space, the smaller the space you will need and the more money you will save! Keep in mind, too, that these tips can even be applied to organizing your garage or even loading your cargo truck for your next move.
Arrange items based on your needs:
- Determine how often you will need to access each of your items.
- Always place the items that you will need to access frequently toward the front of the unit.
- Create an aisle space so that you can access items from more places.
- Place heavy items on the floor, and stack light and fragile items on top.
- Leave a step ladder near the inside of your unit door for vertical
Maximize your space:
- Utilize vertical space by stacking as many items as possible.
- Maximize stacking by filling boxes completely. Make sure boxes have sturdy tops and lids.
- Store sofas on their ends.
- Disassemble large pieces when possible (i.e. take legs off of sofas and tables, break down bed frames, etc.).
- Stack chairs and sofas seat-to-seat.
Fill empty space:
- Store pillows, blankets, and other malleable items
in spaces where nothing else will seem to fit.
- Pack small items in trash bags and store in empty spaces.
- Utilize dresser drawers as well as washers and dryers to store clothes or fragile items.
- Bundle long-handled items and store them in corners, under sofas, or behind other items.
If you are looking for store in Pittsburgh, PA then visit www.storexpressselfstorage.com.